Why Connecting With Everyone and Anyone On LinkedIn Is A BAD Idea, With LinkedIn Expert Leslie Hughes
LinkedIn is your resume and it’s also your Rolodex. It’s counter intuitive to deny LinkedIn connection requests from people you haven’t met yet. And you may think that connecting with everyone and anyone will help you propel your business forward, but this is a BAD idea for 3 reasons.
- People buy from those they know, like and trust. If you haven’t established a relationship with your connection, it’s highly unlikely they will buy from you.
- It’s not strategic. Everyone is not a strategy.
- One of the most powerful aspects of LinkedIn is being able to turn a cold call into a warm introduction. You can’t introduce people and people cannot introduce you to your dream client if they are strangers.
I don’t personally know all my connections. Some are people I’ve connected to via Twitter, or maybe they attended a conference I spoke at. What is important is that I’ve had a conversation with each and every connection.
If I receive a connection request from someone I don’t have any relationship with, I respond with either:
- “Thanks for the invitation to connect. Can you refresh my memory as to how we know each other?” or,
- “I don’t believe we’ve met before, but I’d love to get to know you and your business better. Let me know a bit more about yourself”
And if they don’t respond, I don’t accept them as connections.
Try it yourself. This way, your connections are built on quality, not quantity.
To learn how to reply without accepting the connection request, visit: http://www.punchmedia.ca/linkedin_connection_requests/
About Leslie Hughes: Leslie is a LinkedIn Optimization Specialist, Corporate Social Media Trainer and CEO of PUNCH!media
Founded in 2009, with clients such as The Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada, Guardian Life Insurance Company of America, and The University of Ontario Institute of Technology’s Management Development Centre, PUNCH!media works with organizations to help them feel confident and develop a strong presence in Social Media.
From defining clear strategies, to content development and deployment, we help you save time and build business. Whether you’re using LinkedIn to connect with business associates or Facebook to connect with consumers, we help you connect with the right audience at the right time using the right channels. Visit us online now.